Sunday, December 6, 2009

Believe it or Not

“Guess what happened to me a few days ago.” I asked Ivan.

“I don’t know,” he replied.

“I stumbled into a cavern and there was a cauldron just sitting in the middle of it. It kind of spooked me.” I answered with a bit of worry and disbelief in my voice.

“So what,” he interjected, “somebody probably put it there to scare cowards like yourself.”

“Hey,” I snapped, “you interrupted me, and that wasn’t a very nice thing to say.”

“Go on,” he said unenthusiastically.

“Ok,” I said, “I stumbled into a cavern, and there was a cauldron in the middle.”

“You already said that,” interrupted Ivan.

“I know,” I said almost shouting at him in my frustration. Will you please stop interrupting me?

“Ok,” he said sheepishly.

“As I was saying,” I said, not thrilled with his attitude and verging on the line of exasperation. “I walked in to check it out and I saw something moving. My heart started thudding in my chest but my curiosity over took my fear. I huddled against the wall and in the shadows I saw three creatures walking towards the cauldron. Some time passed and they started to speak. I then realized they were witches and were saying a spell.”

“Ha,” Ivan interjected, “witches, spells and you expect me to believe this. You have to be kidding.”

“It is true,” I said looking at him in a way he knew I was telling the truth.”Let me finish. After some time passed and they finished saying there spells, another being joined them. I couldn’t quite make out what she was but she started to congratulate the witches. Next to my disbelief Macbeth walked in.”

“No way, Macbeth,” Ivan said starting to sound intrigued. “Why would he have anything to do with them?”

“Yes,” I said. “After they had a small conversation, that leads me to believe they had met before, Macbeth asked to know what their power was. This is when the first apparition came; it told Macbeth to beware of Macduff. Then the second apparition came it told Macbeth that the only person that could harm him was someone who was not born of a woman.”

“What person is not born of a woman?” he asked. He had now started to listen intently.

“I don’t know,” I answered. “Afterwards Macbeth said that he didn’t fear Macduff because he was born of a woman. Then came the third aspiration, it said that he wouldn’t be defeated until a forest moved. Macbeth looked quite content until he asked if Banquo’s children would become Kings. The witches showed him a long line of Banquo’s descendents and they all were Kings. Macbeth looked disappointed. I thought to myself that he must not want his children to become Kings. Finally Lennox arrived and the witches disappeared. Lennox didn’t see the witches and he informed Macbeth that Macduff fled to England. When they left I was alone in the Cavern. I was really shocked with what I saw, so I left and came home. You are the first person I told.”

“That seems really suspicious,” murmured Ivan.

“I don’t want to question the King, but do you think that if he knows the future and all of these things, maybe he did things to make himself King?” I inquired.

“I do not want to pass judgement on our King. We should stay quiet about this.” He ordered. “Do not tell anyone what you have just told me.” Ivan said his words in such a sharp tone it startled me and I agreed instantly.

“Ok,” I stuttered and he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment